Frequently Asked Questions


1. Q: How can I purchase my permit?

    A: There are a few simple ways to buy your permits. You can come into our main office (2401 Redondo Dr. NE across from the UNM Bookstore in Cornell Structure) or purchase online through My Parking Portal

2. Q: What do I need in order to purchase my permit?

    A: Be sure to have your UNM ID and your current vehicle registration. If you are a new UNM employee, also bring a copy of your offer letter.

3. Q: When can I buy a parking permit for next year?

     A: Permits usually go on sale the last week of July or the first week of August before the new academic year begins.

          For academic year 2016-2017:
          Student S & R Lots - July 28th 
          Proximity Lots - August 2nd
          Commuter Lots- August 4th

4. Q:  When do summer permits go on sale?

     A: Summer term permits usually go on sale suring the last week of May. Check our website for the exact  sale dates. 

          Summer 2016 permits are on sale May 31st.

5. Q: If I use a handicap placard, do I need to purchase a parking permit?

    A: No. If you have a state-issued placard, you have many accessibly parking options around campus. You may park in any designated accessible parking space, any regular permitted space, and any pay station space (including parking structures).

6. Q: If I don't live on campus, can I still purchase an 'R' lot permit?

    A: No. 'R' lot permits are specifically designated for students who live on campus. You can try to purchase T, P, Rio, M, J and L, parking permits. 

7. Q: Is there a waiting list for parking in certain parking lots?

     A: Yes, you can sign yourself up to be added to a wait list on our website.

8. Q: If I don't have a permit, but only need be on campus for a short time, is there somewhere that I can park?

    A: Yes. We have 2 parking structures and many surface pay stations that offer $1.00 per half-hour fees. Yale and Cornell parking structures offer an evening flat rate of $5 from 3pm to midnight.  

The 3:45 Rule

1. Q: What is the 3:45 rule?

    A: The 3:45 rule allows a permit holder to park in any available space at a surface lot that isn't a handicap space, reserved space, pay station space, or structure space after 3:45 p.m. Monday-Friday. This is especially useful for those with Park & Ride permits (South, G, and Q lot) who take an evening class or need to come to campus later in the day.

2Q: Are lobo village parking permits valid for the 3:45 Rule?

     A: Yes! You can use your lobo village permit to park in any of UNM preferred lots after 3:45 M-F. This does not include parking structures or reserves parking spaces.


1. Q: Do you enforce all of the parking lots on weekends?

     A: No. If you would like to park on campus during the weekend, you are welcome to do so. We DO enforce pay station spaces (including parking structures), reserved spaces, 'R' lot,  and handicap spaces. Any surface lot with available spaces is able to be used.

2. Q: What are the parking enforcement hours? 

     A: Parking is enforced Monday through Thursday from 7am to 8pm; Friday from 7am to 6pm; Saturday and Sunday hours are subject to change.  For more detailed information and break and holiday hours click here

3. Q: What time is parking free on campus?

     A: There is no free parking on campus. However, if you park on campus outside of enforcement hours it is likely you won’t be ticketed. 

4. Q: How much does it cost to park in a parking garage? 

      A: Parking structures and pay stations offer $1.00 per half-hour fees. Yale and Cornell parking structures offer an evening flat rate of $5 from 3pm to midnight.  

5. Q: I have a South Lot permit, where do I park during spring break and summer when South Lot closes?

     A: South Lot Permits are honored in Q lot during Spring Break and summer.


1. Q: How can I pay my citation?

    A: you can make the payment of your citation online (, at our main office, or by mailing it into our office at 2401 Redondo Dr. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87106.

2. Q: Is there a way for me to appeal my citation?

    A: Yes. If you would like to appeal your citation, you may do so on our website. You have up to 5 business days to appeal a citation.

3. Q: Why can I only appeal my citation online?

    A: We only allow appeals online so that there is a paper trail for the citation being appealed. We also want there to be a separation of duties to ensure that all appeals are handled fairly and equally.

4. Q: Can I appeal my citation a second time?

    A: Yes. You may appeal your citation a second time if the appeal was not granted the first time. This will be an administrative review.

5. Q: How many citations can I receive before my car is immobilized (booted)?

    A: You can get 3 citations. We encourage people to come speak with us about why they may have received a citation, how to prevent the citations in the future, etc., before we immobilize a vehicle.

Other Questions

1. Q: If I have a question about where I can park or information in general, what's the best way to contact your office?

    A: There are several great ways to contact us. You may call us at 277-1938, check out our website at, email us, or contact us on Facebook ( and Twitter (@UNM PATS).

2. Q: Where can I find information on the bus stops and schedule?

     A: Detailed information about bus routs and schedules can be found here. You may also find and track real-time shuttles through the Where’s My Bus App.

3. Q: Do you have any options for alternative transportation?

    A: Yes we do! We have several other options including Free Bus Pass Stickers for city busses if you are student taking 3 or more credits, Bike lockers available for rent, discounted rates for the Rail Runner, Park-share and several others! Check out our website for more information about all of our Alternative Transportation options.

4Q: What kind of Motorcycle parking do you offer on campus?

    A: There are at least 10 motorcycle parking areas on main campus. Yearly motorcycle permits are available for $70. If you already have a vehicle permit, your motorcycle permit is free as long as the motorcycle is registered to your name and you don’t live on campus.

5. Q: Is it OK to park scooters at the bike racks on campus?

     A: If your scooter is under 50cc you can park at the bike racks on campus. If it is over 50cc you need to purchase a motorcycle permit.

6. Q: Where does the money you make go?

    A: All revenue PATS brings in covers PATS operational expenses. Anything above that goes back to the university.