Frequently Asked Questions
The 3:45 p.m. rule
1. Q: What is the 3:45 p.m. rule?
A: The 3:45 p.m. rule allows a permit holder to park in any available space at a specified surface lot that isn't a handicap space, reserved space, pay station space, or structure space after 3:45 p.m. Monday-Friday. This is especially useful for those with Park & Ride permits (South, G, and Q lot) who take an evening class or need to come to campus later in the day.
Permit zone combinations for the 3:45 p.m. rule are as follows:
If you have: A, B, C, F, G, GR Fac/Staff, J, L, Lobo Village, M, P, Q, RIO, South, T, U, W, or Yale permits
You may park your vehicle at any regular unmarked space in: A, B, C, F, G, J, L, M, P, Q, RIO, South, T, U, and W lot (NO PAY STATIONS)
2. Q: Are lobo village parking permits valid for the 3:45 p.m. rule?
A: Yes! You can use your lobo village permit to park in any of UNM preferred lots after 3:45 p.m. M - F. This does not include parking structures or reserves parking spaces.
1. Q: Do you enforce all of the parking lots on weekends?
A: No. If you would like to park on campus during the weekend, you are welcome to do so. We DO enforce pay station spaces (including parking structures), reserved spaces, 'R' lot, and handicap spaces. Any surface lot with available spaces is able to be used.
2. Q: What are the parking enforcement hours?
A: Parking is enforced Monday through Thursday: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday hours are subject to change. For more detailed information and break and holiday hours click here.
3. Q: What time is parking free on campus?
A: There is no free parking on campus. However, if you park on campus outside of enforcement hours it is likely you won’t be ticketed.
4. Q: How much does it cost to park in a parking garage?
A: Parking structures and pay stations offer $1/half-hour fees. Yale and Cornell parking structures offer an evening flat rate of $5 from 3 p.m. to midnight.
5. Q: I have a South Lot permit, where do I park during spring break and summer when South Lot closes?
A: South Lot Permits are honored in Q lot during Spring Break and summer.
1. Q: How can I pay my citation?
A: you can make the payment of your citation online at pats.unm.edu, in person or via mail to our business office: 2401 Redondo Dr. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87106.
2. Q: Is there a way for me to appeal my citation?
A: Yes. If you would like to appeal your citation, you may do so on our website. You have up to 5 business days to appeal a citation.
3. Q: Why can I only appeal my citation online?
A: We only allow appeals online so that there is a paper trail for the citation being appealed. We also want there to be a separation of duties to ensure that all appeals are handled fairly and equally.
4. Q: Can I appeal my citation a second time?
A: Yes. You may appeal your citation a second time if the appeal was not granted the first time. This will be an administrative review.
5. Q: How many citations can I receive before my car is immobilized (booted)?
A: You can get 3 citations. We encourage people to come speak with us about why they may have received a citation, how to prevent the citations in the future, etc., before we immobilize a vehicle.