North Campus Construction & Parking Impact
August 16, 2022
Two town halls hosted by UNM Health & Health Sciences Center took place on August 12, 2022 regaurding North Campus construction and parking impact. View recordings below.
*FAQ Coming Soon*
Construction of the new UNM Health Sciences College of Nursing/College of Population Health facility began July 5 and has an anticipated completion date of January 2024. The 93,740 gross square foot building is located what is currently referred to as the “M–Family Practice” (M-FP) Lot on North Campus.
UNM Health and Health Sciences is growing on all fronts with remodeling of existing facilities and construction of new buildings. In the next 24 months, HSC will have new space for learners in the new College of Nursing/School of Public Health building going up in the M-FP parking lot. This new building will help increase enrollment and support for our College of Nursing students as well as provide research space and the latest technology to continue our commitment to solving the most critical health care needs. This is of tremendous importance for the much-needed growth of the College of Population Health allowing more space for students, faculty, and staff, bringing value to all of New Mexico as we grow public health.
Here are some reminders about how construction is and will continue to affect North Campus parking:
- All of the parking spaces in the M–FP lot will eventually be impacted by this project as the construction goes through its phases.
- A construction fence has been be installed restricting access around the construction/laydown area. This fence will move as the construction goes through its phases.
- 53 permit parking spaces in the northeast section of the M–Dental lot are closed from use during project construction.
- Please view our campus map to view other “M” zone lots for parking during this time.
UNM PATS operates shuttle service between the G/Q lots, the bus stops along Tucker and on to the Medical stop. Additional shuttles will be added to the G/Q-North Campus route and will offer service to the G/Q bus stop(s) and Medical stop every 5-8 minutes. As was done last year, the Redondo-North/Central Campus shuttle will operate between the Duck Pond, the bus stop at Yale and Tucker and on to the Medical stop, and then over to the G Lot. This will help customers get from main to north campus, then north campus to the G Lot.
Hours of UNM PATS shuttle operation are:
- Monday - Thursday: 6:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Monday - Thursday (Night Bus Route) 7 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 7 p.m
- Monday – Friday: “Early start” shuttle service, which will operate (M-F) from 4:30 a.m. to 5:45 a.m., started service on Monday, Aug. 8 between the G/Q Lots and North Campus. K Lot, which is a student-only commuter lot, will be added to this new route on Monday, Aug. 22 with it re-opens for use.
Safety Escort Services
For faculty and staff (and students) who have to be on campus early in the morning or late at night, the UNM Police Department offers safety escort services to students from an on- campus location to another on-campus location 24 hours, 7 days a week. To request an escort, please call UNM PD at (505) 277-2241.
- Construction activities will dictate how vehicles enter the M–FP and M–Dental parking lots and may change as construction progresses through the different phases.
- The center access road that runs between the M–FP and M–Dental lots has been closed to all traffic. Closure will remain in place until sometime in January 2024.
- The other two entrances - east entrance next to Domenici III and west entrance near Yale - will, for the most part, remain open throughout construction.