Frequently Asked Questions: Parking
1. Q: How can I purchase my permit?
A: There are a few simple ways to buy your permits. You can come into our business office (2401 Redondo Dr. NE across from the UNM Bookstore in Cornell Structure) or purchase online through your parking account.
2. Q: What do I need in order to purchase my permit?
A: Be sure to have your UNM ID and your current vehicle registration. If you are a new UNM employee, also bring a copy of your offer letter.
3. Q: When can I buy a parking permit for next year?
A: Permits usually go on sale the last week of July or the first week of August before the new academic year begins.
For academic year 2022-2023:
S, R, and INV Zones - July 28 @ 7:30 a.m. - (Student Resident Permits)
G*, L*, M*, P*, T, and Yale - August 2 @ 7:30 a.m. - (Student Proximity Lots, *Permits subject to eligibility criteria)
Elks, Q, and South - August 4 @ 7:30 a.m. - (Commuter Lots)
4. Q: When do summer permits go on sale?
A: Summer term permits usually go on sale during the last week of May.
Summer 2021 permits are currently available for sale.
5. Q: If I use an ADA placard, do I need to purchase a parking permit?
A: No. If you have a state-issued placard that has been issued to you, you have many accessibly parking options around campus. You may park in any designated accessible parking space, any regular permitted space, and any pay station space (including parking structures).
6. Q: If I don't live on campus, may I still purchase an 'R' lot permit?
A: No. 'R' lot permits are specifically designated for students who live on campus. You may try to purchase G*, T, P*, Rio, J*, Yale and L, Q* and K parking permits. *Eligibility restrictions apply.
7. Q: Is there a waiting list for parking in certain parking lots?
A: Yes, you can sign yourself up to be added to a wait list through your parking account.
8. Q: If I don't have a permit, but only need be on campus for a short time, is there somewhere that I can park?
A: Yes. We have 2 parking structures and many surface pay stations that offer $1.50/half-hour fees. Yale and Cornell parking structures offer an evening flat rate of $6 from 3 p.m. to midnight.
9. Q: If I have a question about where I can park or information in general, what's the best way to contact your office?
10. Q: What kind of Motorcycle parking do you offer on campus?
A: There are at least 10 motorcycle parking areas on main campus. Yearly motorcycle permits are available for $84. If you already have a vehicle permit, your motorcycle permit is free as long as the motorcycle is registered to your name and you don’t live on campus.
11. Q: Where is scooter parking available?
A: Driving vehicles intended for roadway use (such as motorcycles and mopeds) on sidewalks or pedestrian pathways is now prohibited per University Administrative Policy 2260, Section 4. As a result of this policy update, scooters and mopeds will no longer have access to park at bicycle racks located on campus.
Mopeds and scooters may be registered with PATS to receive a FREE moped/scooter permit valid for parking in designated motorcycle permit parking areas if a parking permit is tied to that same account. Otherwise, view information about purchasing a Moped/Scooter permit through the Moped/Scooter Parking page.