General Info for Parking on Campus
Students, faculty and staff may purchase annual permits. Lobos who choose not to purchase a permit*, as well as campus visitors, may use various daily and hourly parking options. *Restrictions apply.
UNM Student Parking Permits Sales 2017-2018:
R*, S* and INV* | July 27th | 7:30 a.m.
L*, M*, P*, RIO, T, and Yale | August 1st | 7:30 a.m.
G*, Q, and South | August 3rd | 7:30 a.m.
*Permits subject to eligibility restrictions.
UNM Faculty/Staff Parking Permits Sales 2017-2018:
UNM Faculty/Staff permits paid for through atomically payroll deduction will automatically renew on July 31st
UNM Faculty/Staff permit sales open: August 1st
Accessible Parking at UNM for the Mobility Impaired
When you properly display a current and valid ADA/Handicapped placard that has been personally issued to you, or if you are transporting an individual who has been personally issued a current and valid ADA/Handicapped placard, you may park in any of the following:
- Any designated ADA/Handicapped parking space.
- Any regular zone parking space, not further restricted by other signage (i.e. Service Vehicle Only, Loading Zone, etc.).
- Any pay station space, at no charge (including our Cornell and Yale parking structures.
Temporary Handicapped Placards
We can provide temporary handicapped permits for UNM students, faculty, and staff to use on UNM campus for up to 6 weeks. To obtain one of these permits please follow the instructions below.
- Students: You may visit the UNM Student Health & Counseling for evaluation. With the written request from the Student Health & Counseling, we will issue a permit for the duration specified up to a maximum of 6 weeks at no charge. You will need to present us with valid picture ID. If you require handicapped parking for longer than 6 weeks, it is recommended you obtain a temporary permit through the State of New Mexico.
- Staff/Faculty: You may visit Employee Occupational Health Services for evaluation. With the written request from Employee Occupational Health Services we will issue a permit for the duration specified up to a maximum of 6 weeks at no charge. You will need to present us with valid picture ID. If you require handicapped parking for longer than 6 weeks, it is recommended you obtain a temporary permit through the State of New Mexico.
Discouraging Abuse of ADA/Handicapped Parking
Our on-going Accessible Parking Initiative is designed to safeguard the availability of ADA/handicapped parking spaces for legitimate users. As part of the initiative, PATS enforcement officers will focus on enforcing the governing State of New Mexico and University regulations related to the appropriate use of ADA/handicapped parking spaces on campus during random events. Amid these focused enforcement events, officers will ask for documentation verifying ownership of handicapped placards. They will ensure the placard is displayed with the permit number and expiration date clearly visible form the windshield.
ADA/Handicapped Parking Enforcement Authority
PATS Enforcement Division operates pursuant by the authority granted in §29-5-1.1 NMSA 1978. It has the authority to enforce ADA/Handicapped parking areas pursuant to § 66-7-352.1 through 66-7-352.6 NMSA 1978, and 66-7-352.16 NMSA 1978. As a state agency, UNM Parking and Transportation Services has the authority and ability to access state motor vehicle records to ascertain responsible parties associated with all handicapped placards displayed in any vehicle on UNM property.
Park. Charge. Go!
With financial assistance from the UNM Green Fund, UNM Parking & Transportation Services has installed two ChargePoint Level 2 Commercial Charging Stations on main campus for use by electric vehicles (EV).
- Each station has the ability to charge two EVs at once
- Each EV station/parking space has a 4-hour use/time limit
- User pays for the parking space, not for the electricity (the regular $1 per 1/2 hr. pay station parking rate applies)
- Use of the charging station parking space is reserved for EVs that are actively charging
Hourly Charge Parking is available at the Cornell and Yale Structures at the rate of $1.00 per half-hour with a maximum use/time limit of 4-hours. User pays for the parking space, not for the electricity. Hourly parking is purchased using pay stations that accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover or through the use of ParkMobile to pay remotely by cell phone. Cash payments are only accepted on the third floor of the Cornell Structure, (bills only -exact payment is required).
Special Event Parking Rate applies to EV Charge parking during special events. EV charge parking for special events is limited to 4-hour use/time limit.
How to Use
A ChargePoint card is needed to use the ChargePoint EV charging stations. Although UNM's charging stations require a ChargePoint card, they do not require payment for the electricity as the user is instead required to pay for parking in the pay station space: regular parking fee while charging is $1 per 1/2 hr with a maximum time of 4 hours.
ChargePoint has over 28,000 commercial charging spots located across the USA. To use a ChargePoint station, EV drivers must first enroll in the ChargePoint system at chargepoint.com, and provide basic contact information as well as possible payment information (NOTE: any payment using the ChargePoint card would only apply at charging stations not located on the UNM campus). The ChargePoint card will be mailed to the address provided during enrollment, and the user can find activation instructions online at chargepoint.com.
NOTE: There is a 4-hour time limit on use of the EV parking space/charge.
Visit ChargePoint.com for more information.
UNM Low Emissions and Fuel Efficient Vehicle Program
Currently Available to M and U Lot Permit Holders
Continuing with the our core beliefs of sustainability, Parking & Transportation Services encourages and rewards the use of Low Emissions and Fuel Efficient (LE/FE) vehicles. Following the footsteps of Leadership in Energy and Environmental design (LEED) and based on criteria from the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), M and U permit holders can use this website to see if their vehicles measure up. If your vehicle qualifies under the "SmartWay Elite" category, you can visit PATS' main office to apply for a free LE/FE sticker which will give exclusive use of 7 specially-reserved parking spaces near Domenici Center. Only those vehicles designated as "SmartWay Elite", not just "SmartWay", qualify for LE/FE status. Make sure your vehicle has a green ✓ under the "Elite" category when doing a vehicle search.
The spaces are first-come first-serve and are strictly reserved only for qualified LE/FE vehicles. The spaces have the same exclusivity status as Reserved spaces and as such are not subject to the 3:45 p.m. rule. Vehicle registration is required for each vehicle and you must not have an outstanding balance on your parking account. To update your vehicle registration or check the balance of your account, login to MyParking Account.