Types of Permits
UNM Parking permits are sold on a first-come, first served-basis. Some permits are subject to eligibility requirements and have limited availability.
Park in a lot near campus and catch a UNM shuttle to campus.
- Available to UNM Faculty, Staff, and Students
Commuter parking lots are serviced by the Parking and Transportation Services shuttle system
Proximity Parking - UNM Faculty/StaffMore convenient parking with limited availability.
UNM Faculty/Staff who acquire the right to purchase a proximity parking permit, will always be eligible to renew the next academic year's permit in the same zone up to mid-September.
* L permits are reserved for Law faculty/staff and are sold regardless of lot capacity. If the Law school parking area is full, we allow the display of the L permit in the G lot.
** M and W permits are reserved for faculty/staff assigned to medical programs on North Campus and at Physics and Astronomy. These permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis due to llimited availability.
If preferred parking is sold out, commuter parking permits will be offered.
Proximity Parking - UNM Students
More convenient parking with limited availability.
- Includes zones: J, L*, M*, P, T, RIO, and Yale
*Subject to eligibility criteria
- If preferred parking is sold out, commuter parking permits will be offered.
Convenient on-campus parking in a parking structure.
Yale* structure - Yale permit parking is available on levels 3 and above in the Yale structure. Yale permits are not valid in pay station parking spaces.
Lomas* structure – Lomas permit parking is available for UNM faculty/staff on the yellow levels of the Lomas structure, which include the 1st floor, the ramp to the 2nd floor, and the entire east structure.
*Structure parking permits are sold on a first-come, first-served basis and have limited availability.
Student Resident ParkingStudents must currently live in official UNM campus housing to be eligible. Resident parking for students living on the UNM main campus includes zones R and S. Lobo Rainforest/Innovate ABQ residents are eligible to purchase an Innovate (INV) parking permit.
- S parking is located on the east side of the Lomas parking structure, on levels that have yellow pillars.
- R parking is available in various “R” zone parking lots located on UNM’s main campus, in close proximity to the resident halls. Additionally, a limited amount of R zone parking is also available on the surface streets near the resident halls.
- INV parking is located directly north of the Rainforest building on Tijeras and Broadway.
Greek Resident Parking
Greek Resident parking for students living in Greek housing is available in the GR zone. Greek Resident parking permits may be purchased in person only.
Reserved parking is offered in various convenient locations around campus including the Lomas and Yale parking structures.
Reserved parking for the permit holder 24/7.
Reserve complaint service available to cite vehicles parked in the reserved space without the required permit.
For more information, please contact our office.
Motorcycle ParkingDesignated motorcycle permit parking is available in various convenient locations around campus.
If you have already purchased a vehicle parking permit from PATS, we will give you a motorcycle permit for FREE. To receive your free motorcycle permit:
The motorcycle must be registered in your name.
Bring your motorcycle registration information (make, model, year, color, VIN, license plate information, and expiration date) to our office.
Please note: Students living on campus are not eligible to get a free motorcycle permit, but may purchase a motorcycle permit at the regular rate of $70/yr.No visitor motorcycle parking available. Visitor motorcycles may park in any available pay station space and must pay the posted rate.
Register your moped or scooter with PATS and receive a moped/scooter parking permit at no cost through the upcoming academic year (2018-2019).
To purchase your free moped/scooter permit:
The scooter or moped must be registered in your name.
Bring your scooter or moped registration information (make, model, year, color, VIN, license plate information, and expiration date) or the vehicle bill of sale to our office.
Please note: Students living on campus are not eligible to get a free scooter or moped permit if they currently have an active vehicle permit on campus but may purchase a scooter/moped permit at the regular rate of $36/yr.
Scooters and mopeds are not allowed to park at bike racks or on sidewalks and UNM policy prohibits use on pedestrian walkways.
UNM Low Emissions and Fuel Efficient Vehicle Program
Currently Available to M and U Lot Permit Holders
Parking & Transportation Services encourages and rewards the use of Low Emissions and Fuel Efficient (LE/FE) vehicles. Following the footsteps of Leadership in Energy and Environmental design (LEED) and based on criteria from the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), M and U permit holders with qualifying "SmartWay Elite" vehicles can visit PATS business office to apply for a free LE/FE sticker which, along with an M or U permit, will grant exclusive use of specially-reserved parking spaces in M Lot near Domenici Center and in U Lot east and west of the UNM HSC Business and Communications Center.
Visit fueleconomy.gov to see if your vehicle qualifies under the "SmartWay Elite" category.
The spaces are first-come first-serve and are strictly reserved for qualified "SmartWay Elite" LE/FE vehicles with a valid LE/FE sticker and proper zone permit. Vehicle registration is required for each vehicle and you must not have an outstanding balance on your parking account to qualify. To update your vehicle registration or check the balance of your account, log in to MyParking Account.
LE/FE parking spaces have the same exclusivity status as Reserved parking spaces and as such are not subject to the 3:45 p.m. rule.
3:45 p.m. Rule
Monday through Friday at 3:45 p.m. and all day Saturday and Sunday, most commuter and preferred parking permits become generic, making them valid in regular permit spaces in other commuter and proximity parking zones.
If you have parking permit: A, B, C, F, G, GR Fac/Staff, J, L, Lobo Village, M, P, Q, RIO, South, T, U, W, or Yale
You may park your vehicle at any regular, unmarked space in: A, B, C, F, G, J, L, M, P, Q, RIO, South, T, U, and W
The following restrictions apply:
- The 3:45 p.m.. Rule does NOT apply to Reserved spaces, Handicapped spaces, Barricaded areas, Fire Lanes or Pay Station parking spaces.
- The 3:45 p.m.. Rule does NOT apply to parking structures, although structure permit holders are entitled to roam after 3:45 p.m..
- The 3:45 p.m.. Rule does NOT apply to R or S resident zones or permits. R lot and S (Lomas structure) permits are only valid in their respective zones at all times and no other permits are allowed in those zones.
- The 3:45 p.m.. Rule does NOT apply to the GR zone, although GR Faculty/Staff permit holders are entitled to roam after 3:45 p.m..
- The 3:45 p.m.. Rule does NOT apply to South Lot on game days, since the facility is owned by Athletics who impose their own separate parking fees on these occasions.
- The 3:45 p.m.. Rule does NOT apply to the following permits: AML, AIMS, CHTM, and new employee temporary permits.